Chili For Chilly Weather
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 8 chopped garlic cloves
- 6 oz spicy Italian chicken sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cup Merlot
- 2, 28 oz cans whole fire roasted tomatoes
- 2, 15 oz cans kidney beans, drained
1) Remove sausage from casing and cut into bite size pieces. Chop the onion, green pepper, garlic cloves and jalapeno. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add all the above prepared ingredients for a few minutes, then add the ground turkey. Cook until browned.
2) Add the chili powder, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, and bay leaves, stirring constantly for a few moments. Then stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil.
3) Then stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring every so often.
4) Uncover and cook for 30 minutes.
5) If you choose before serving sprinkle some sharp cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Stay warm!